How much is Mom worth? What are some good Mom songs? Being a lover of fun facts and good music, we have compiled our top 10 in both categories; top ten fun facts and top ten songs. So, check out our list and share yours. Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there.
(By the way, this picture; c/o of my son Lance–circa: 1994. Still my favorite picture of me ever. Damn, I look good!)
1) Americans buy 140 million cards for Mother’s Day . . . even though there are only about 83 million mothers in the country.
2) Mother’s Day is the third-biggest greeting card holiday in the U.S., behind Christmas and Valentine’s Day. This year, Americans will spend $671 MILLION on Mother’s Day cards.
3) 48% of people say they’re FACEBOOK FRIENDS with their mother.
4) What’s mom worth? According to Amy Danise, senior managing editor of Insure.com, the answer is “$61,436 a year.” ‘They basically divided up mom’s role into 14 different jobs; (cook, driver, nurse, etc.), then used Bureau of Labor Statistics on hourly wages to see how much you’d have to pay if mom were outsourced. If you didn’t have her, for example, you might have to spend $6,285 a year on transportation (taxi driver or chauffeur, priced at $13.43 an hour). For cleaning, you’d have to pay a maid or housekeeper $9.40 an hour, or $7,104 a year….’
5) Anna Jarvis of Philadelphia who officially started Mother’s Day in the United States in 1908, also filed a lawsuit in an effort to stop the over- commercialisation of Mother’s Day. She lost her fight. Anna had hoped for a day of reflection and quiet prayer by families, thanking God for all that mothers had done.
6) Mother’s Day is the busiest phone day in the U.S. Approximately 122.5 million calls are made on this day.
7) NASCAR has only run two races on Mother’s Day. Once for weather, it was raining on the Saturday preceding Mother’s Day in 2007 at Darlington. And back in 1986 at the Winston All Star race, Atlanta.
8) West Virginia was the first state to set aside a proclamation for Mother’s Day.
9) California and Columbia supply most of the flowers grown (and sold) for Mother’s Day.
10) The earliest Mother’s Day in history, was in ancient Greece, when people paid tribute to Rhea, the mother of the gods, with honey cakes, fine drinks, and flowers at dawn.
And now our choices for a great Mother’s Day Playlist!
Mamma Mia by ABBA
Mama I Love You by Spice Girls
Dear Mama by 2Pac (Tupac Shakur)
Thank You Mom by Good Charlotte
Mamas Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys by Willie Nelson
Your Mama Don’t Dance and Your Daddy Don’t Rock N’ Roll by Loggins & Messina
Mama by Il Divo
Hey Mamma by Kanye West
Mother by John Lennon
I Want a Mom That Will Last Forever by Cyndi Lauper